Friday, June 8, 2012

A Plaid Mani Tutorial

Happy Friday everybody!  As they say, "There is no rest for the wicked!".  And I am certainly not an exception.  It's going to be a very long weekend :(

Well, today I have a tutorial for you!  The plaid mani seemed to be a pretty popular one and it's a fairly simple look to achieve.  Here is a pick of the one I did for this tut...


Here is what you will need:

  • Base Coat
  • Top Coat
  • 3 Nail Polishes
  • Striping Brush (if you don't own a striping brush, try an old liquid eyeliner brush?)
That's it!  I promise, this look is super easy to achieve :)  So here's what I did...

 Colors Used: Julep - Gloria, Sally Hansen - Green With Envy, Sally Hansen - White On

With spring winding down, I thought I'd use some springy colors to give it a pretty send off haha.  I really love this look and I have some ideas in my head for more color combos in the future :)  I started by applying my base coat.  I am currently using Triple Wrap Thickener by Nail-Aid.  It has not strengthened my nails like I thought it would by it definitely makes them harder than they are naked.


I then applied 2 thin coats of Gloria to the tips of my nails.  You don't have to worry about being perfectly neat and even when applying this.  You're going to cover it up with stripes later :P
 Then I applied 2 thin coats of a thick, off-centered, streak/stripe (using the polish brush of course).  Again no need to stress about it looking perfect.


Time for the striping brush!  With my brush I applied a stripe of Envy onto each nail tip.

After cleaning the brush off, I applied White On to the left of the large streak, overlapping the green stripe.  And then I painted two white stripes near the bottom of the nail.

I cleaned the brush a final time and applied Envy to the right side of the streak, overlapping the white stripes.

I finished it off with one coat of Out The Door and, voila!  A simple plaid mani :)


 I cannot express how much I love this look.  It's really fun and detailed without being a butt load of work, you know?  I hope that this tutorial is helpful to you!  Please let me know how you do with your own plaid mani's :)

I'll have a polish haul to share with you within the next week.  Aside from that I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Until next time!

Stef <3

1 comment: